Thursday 20 January 2011

LIGHTING

I did a small experiment on lighting, as a cinematographer this is a key part of my role along with melissa who's also in charge of lighting, I want to ensure as a group we achieve the most effective results.







Ignoring the poor quality photograph and focusing on the effect of the lighting it is clear that lighting shining in from above makes the character seem in a chilling, frightening scenario. 





This image of the light gleaming in from the right is rather strong, one side of his face being completely disguises one side of his face. When I look at this photograph I get the impression that he has two personalities to him, one good, one bad. I think this effect is useful if you want to reveal some of the character to the audience, show half of their expression, yet it's as thought the character will always have something to hide until his face is uncovered.



This straight on beam of light, hitting his face directly reveals everything, the characters emotions, it's impossible to hide. I think this technique should be used when showing a characters vulnerability, as they are completely exposed. 




This experiment has aided me in realising the correct lighting techniques for differing situations, and which one is the correct one to use to express a particular feeling or mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment