Sunday 16 January 2011

The style of the 1940/50's

I thought looking into models and designers of the 1940/50's would help me gain an understanding of the style at the time, and as a stylist I intend to convey these times accurately with a modern twist.
Carmen Dell'Orifice
This particular photograph was my inspiration behind the coffee house scene.
The model just seems so delicate, this is emphasised by the pouring of the tea, the china - it's all very
ethereal. I love the strong contrast and pale skin, it seemed a classic feature of a femme fatale. This is why I specifically try to use an actor with this look.   
This is the perfect picture to represent the character of a femme fatale; mysterious and seductive. The clothing she's in is extremely melodramatic, however this was traditional of noir films. I want to bring across this exaggerated style, however it will be toned down and modernised, although the dramatic make-up will remain the same -Combined with the women's facial expression in this photograph it makes the perfect captivating look. 


 Lisa Fonssagrives I'm going to experiment with unnatural lighting as I would love to achieve a emphasised cheek as you can see on this photo. It makes the women look more appealing, and as I said for the image above I think a femme fatales facial expression is most important to represent her seductive character. 


Lisa FonssagrivesThis photograph shows the change in womens fashion which Dior introduced - the cinched waist - flattering style. It's over the top, extravagant and appears alluring. These all being traits of a femme fatale. 

Dior's New Look 1947 - A Post War Turning Point in Fashion History

Picture of Dior's model wearing the New Look. Fashion history and costume history
In 1947 Christian Dior presented a fashion look with a fitted jacket with a nipped in waist and full calf length skirt.  It was a dramatic change from wartime austerity styles. Femme Fatales clearly took advantage of this enticing style, they could now look feminine and desirable. Evening versions of the New Look were very glamorous and consisted of strapless boned tops with full skirts and were ultra feminine.Women usually wore just underwear beneath the buttoned up jacket, or filled in the neckline with a satin foulard head scarf, dickey or bib. All women were embracing this revolutionary style, they no longer had to conform to a military uniform and for once could radiate elegance. New Look and new approach to fashion was a major post war turning point in Fashion History.

I understand how simply costumes can define the role of our characters, this is why I wanted to research into this eras style. I can now, to a degree, dress our actor and actress in the traditional fashion.  


No comments:

Post a Comment